O’Fallon families want hardwood floors that are as practical as they are stylish. That’s why many of them choose red oak for their custom flooring projects. At Floor Coverings International Metro East, we work with homeowners in the great O'Fallon, Edwardsville, and Belleville area to find their perfect floors. Here is some more information about red oak hardwood and its many benefits.
Red Oak or White Oak?
There are hundreds of species of oak that grow natively in the United States. Only two are used for flooring: white oak and red oak. Despite sharing a moniker, these woods are nothing alike. White oak is actually the darker of the two, with colors ranging from light to dark brown. Red oak is amber or light brown with subtle pink undertones. Sometimes it can be hard to tell them apart by color alone, especially if the floor has been refinished or stained. In that case, it is easy to distinguish red oak by its crazy, unpredictable grain lines and wild swirls.
Benefits of Red Oak
Red oak is a uniquely beautiful hardwood that possess a number of additional benefits, such as:
- Durable: with a Janka hardness rating of 1,290, red oak is resistant to scratches and dings. Given its affordability, this hardwood is a great investment that will easily last generations.
- Low-maintenance: simply sweep and vacuum debris from your hardwood every week, and you have completed the majority of the required maintenance for red oak. Every few decades, red oak can be refinished to restore its original sheen.
- Sustainable: native to the northeastern United States, red oak is sustainably grown right here in the USA.
- Versatile: red oak comes in a variety of colors, styles, and finishes. Looking for red oak plank or hand scraped red oak? We’ve got you covered.
Find Your Dream Floors
At Floor Coverings International Metro East we work with O’Fallon families to build the floors of their dreams. Give us a call today to schedule your free, in-home consultation.
You May Also Enjoy:
- Cherry Hardwood Flooring for O’Fallon Homes
- Exotic Hardwood Flooring in O’Fallon
- Prefinished Hardwood Flooring in Belleville
- Walnut Hardwood Floors in Edwardsville
- White Oak Hardwood Flooring in Belleville
Photo © Artazum