Opting for unfinished hardwood flooring means the person installing the floor will sand the wood and apply the finish (protective coating that seals your floor and protects it against normal wear and tear) on-site.
When deciding between prefinished and unfinished wood, it really comes down to personal preference. Like anything, there are pros and cons to both, and people like each type for different reasons. Many Belleville contractors like working with unfinished hardwood flooring because they can wait until the end of the job to finish the floor. This prevents any work boot scuffs or dropped tools from damaging the finished wood. On the other hand, the installation process of unfinished wood is more in-depth and time consuming.
Pros of Unfinished Hardwood Flooring
- More flexibility to match existing hardwood floors or get a specific color
- Less chance of damaging a finished floor
- There aren’t any factory-made micro-bevels on board edges, resulting in a smoother finish
- Available in more widths and types of wood
- Easier to clean between the cracks due to on-site sealing
- Easier to repair and refinish
Cons of Unfinished Hardwood Flooring
- Takes more time to install because sanding and finishing are done on-site
- You have to wait days, or sometimes weeks, for the floors to dry and cure
- You can’t walk or put furniture on the floors until they are fully cured
- Exposes your home to harsh polyurethane
- You don’t receive manufacturer warranty that comes with prefinished hardwood floors
- Increased risk of moisture-caused wood warping
If you’re having a hard time deciding which type of hardwood floor works best for your needs, ask the experts. Call Floor Coverings International Metro East to schedule your free in-home consultation today! We’ll answer your questions and help you decide which type of hardwood floor is best for your O'Fallon, Edwardsville, Belleville home.
- Hardwood Flooring
- Prefinished Hardwood Flooring in Belleville
- Eco-Friendly Flooring, Green Flooring
- Engineered Hardwood Flooring
Photo Credit: Flas100