If you’re totally new to the world of luxury vinyl tile (also known as LVT) or if you need a refresher, take a quick look at our old article “12 Things You Should Know About Luxury Vinyl Tile” and then come back here.
Assuming that you’ve just returned full of vinyl knowledge—or that you’re already acquainted with the basics of this versatile flooring material— let’s dive into our question for today. Belleville homeowners who are looking for a waterproof, low-maintenance flooring can’t do better than vinyl—but should you choose sheet vinyl or vinyl tiles for the floors in your home? The experts at Floor Coverings International Metro East are here to help you answer the question!
What’s the Difference Between Sheet and Tile Vinyl Flooring?
All vinyl is completely impermeable to water and can be designed to perfectly mimic a variety of materials like hardwood, natural stone, and ceramic. However, there are some important differences. Sheet vinyl is manufactured in large rolls, so the installer can simply bring the rolls into your home and fit the sheets to your floor, getting the project finished quickly and with minimal labor. Vinyl tiles, on the other hand, are just as the name would suggest: individual squares of vinyl that each have to be installed one at a time. While the process does take longer if you choose vinyl tiles, don’t make up your mind just yet! There are some other things to be aware of…
3 Things to Know About Sheet Vinyl
Here’s what you absolutely need to know about sheet vinyl:
- It May End Up Being More Affordable—Less installation time often translates to savings for the homeowner.
- Fewer Seams Means Better Water Resistance—Sheet vinyl is probably your best bet if you’re really looking for something that can withstand moisture in a bathroom, kitchen, or mudroom.
- More Design Options—Since the design is printed right beneath the wear-layer of the vinyl, any color or pattern is viable for the floors in your Belleville home.
3 Things to Know About Vinyl Tiles
Here’s what you absolutely need to know about vinyl tiles:
- Easier to Replace—The major drawback of sheet vinyl is that if it’s damaged, it’ll be harder to repair and may need to be entirely replaced. Vinyl tiles can be swapped out quickly and affordably.
- Less Resistant to Moisture—Spaces between tiles are vulnerable, so be sure that you choose an experienced installer like Floor Coverings International Metro East.
- Looks More Like Real Tile—For a little added realism, choose to have your installer use grout with the vinyl tiles, making them look and feel more like real natural stone or ceramic flooring.
Learn More or Schedule a Free Consultation
Let our professional installation and design team give you a hand! At Floor Coverings International Metro East, we’re committed to keeping the whole process as convenient as possible by coming to your home in the greater O'Fallon, Edwardsville, Belleville area and providing a free consultation. Book an appointment with us today to get started!
You might also like:
- Are Engineered Hardwood Floors Right for You?
- Infographic: All About Eco-Friendly Flooring
- Choosing the Right Oak: Red vs. White